Wednesday 5 March 2014

Custom made gifts and supporting local artists.

Over the last few years my crafting has taken me on a real journey and along the way I have met some fantastic local artists.  All of whom I would love to commission to make me something but I have to be restrained due to space and finances.

I have however decided that custom made gifts are a great way of supporting local artists and giving a gift truly original and specific to the person being given it.  It also helps drum up a little publicity for the artists.

This Christmas my sister asked for something she would like and that she wouldn't necessarily buy for herself.  I struggled here because she buys herself most of the things she wants, unless they are out of price range which means they are way out of mine.  After racking my brains I had a sudden brain wave and decided to make contact with my friend Kate Cloud who is a textile artist.  I first met Kate when I was introduced to her by my boyfriend at the Long Eaton art room, a great place!

Kate makes the most incredible peg dolls, needle felted characters and other wonderfully colourful items, here are some of my favourites. 





My sister is a Paramedic in London and I thought it would be fantastic to ask Kate to make her in peg doll form.  Rheanne loves quirky things with little smiley faces and bright colours so I knew Kate would not disappoint.  I started by asking Rheanne's boyfriend to take a few picture of her in her uniform, a surprisingly easy task as she didn't question a thing due to the fact he was testing his new camera.  I then sent these on to Kate and she worked her magic.  Here is the finished item which Rheanne and everybody who has seen it loves.


Kate has captured Rheanne so well in this peg doll, there is a small London Ambulance Service badge on the right pocket and an NHS badge on the left.  They are so small its hard to believe they are so perfect.  Rheanne is also well known for her scuffed boots so even the peg dolls boots have scuffed toes.  Her smile is spot on as well, I am amazed by how perfect this is.  I also just love the background which is perfect for the bright lights of the Capital.

I have also recently had a custom pet print made by the very talented Amy Blackwell for my boyfriends Mum.  I asked for one of her tortoise Humprey Bogart.  I met Amy at my knitting group and have admired her work ever since I learnt what she did other than work in the cave at the Broadway Cinema.  Here are some of her lovely cat portraits.


Sadly people have stealing Amy's images recently and have been having them mass printed onto terrible cushions.  This is an ongoing problem so if you see any for sale please report these people.  They seem to pop up all over the place.  Bad people!!!

I was talking to Amy one evening and asked of she had ever made a tortoise portrait, I could instantly see the cogs in her brain working and the excitement was quite apparent.  We discussed what I might like and when it was needed by and I left knit group with a plan.  My boyfriend was heading home in a few weeks so he was tasked with taking photographs of Humprey Bogary (aka Humpy) for me to send over to Amy.

Once I had sent these with a brief description of Humpy and his favourite food stuff strawberries I was soon sent back an image of the illustration Amy had created.  He was perfect and his blissfully happy strawberry covered face was captured perfectly.  We handed Humpy over this week and he has made his way back to Devon now to meet his namesake.  Don't they look happy.


 The reactions to both of these gifts have been priceless, I felt so happy to hand over something completely unique to the person receiving them and I will continue to source as many gifts as I can from local artists.  Please join me in my bid to support local artists and consider getting gifts commissioned, you would be surprised at just how affordable and how satisfying it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment