Sunday 16 February 2014

Oh look at that lovely pinny!

Today has been such a lovely day.  It started with breakfast in bed, a rarity when living with a shift worker because we never wake up at the same time.  I then made my way into town for meet up with friends for knitting and Sunday dinner.

I collected a few lovely items I had purchased from my friend Amy Blackwell (a great artist).  This yarn is beauts and I love the panel, no idea what I will do with it yet but I shall figure it out, I'm thinking bag.


After devouring a months worth of calories in one hot chocolate I decided I would head home before the sugar crash.  When I got home I decided it was time to make the hedgehog apron.

I started by cutting the edge panels and one for the bottom.  I forgot that the bottom panel had to be the length of the whole piece with the edges sewn on, it was too small but it did fit the middle section.  How silly!  I then decided I didn't want my apron to have a bottom strip so forgot about cutting another.

After I stitched the edges onto my fat quarter I attached my lovely friendly looking hedgehog.


Next I cut the backing for the apron and stitched it on.  Being a novice sewer I made the mistake of sewing a lovely line that was level with the edge of the fabric...my fabric was wonky so therefore the seam was!  After using an iron and some tailors chalk I soon amended this but I did lose an inch from the bottom of the apron.


To make the straps for the apron I cut two 1 metre lengths of fabric 7" wide and stitched them together making a 2 metre strip of fabric.  I will try to explain how I stitched it on but it will probably make no sense.

I first laid the fabric face down on the apron making sure the centres of both aligned.  I then stitched it in place and ironed it flat so the seam was hidden.  I then folded the strip in half, turned the edges in and stitched along the long edge, this seam is visible.  Then I stitched the end seams and voila it was done!


Such a lovely apron and I am so pleased with it, I can't wait to wear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment