Wednesday 12 February 2014

A carrier bag holder.

What a boring title for a post!

Last week I felt like someone had put a rocket up my derrière and I went to B&Q for a few bits to get our kitchen resembling a kitchen and not a building site like it has since last summer.

We have very limited storage space and have found that we have a heap of carrier bags stuffed in between the legs of the stools for our breakfast bar, not very attractive at all.  

From this I decided I would knock up a quick carrier bag tube to hang from the wall under my new shelves.  I spent ages looking for fabric and decided a fat quarter would be more than enough for my needs.  I just fell in love with this Hedgehog fabric, isn't it lovely.


So lovely I couldn't bear to use it for a boring carrier bag holder so it now has a new destiny, an apron. This will have to wait a while though.

As I like to try to blog on a Wednesday and had nothing to blog about I decided I would raid my fabric stash (thanks to friends I now have one) and see what I had.  I had some beautiful floral fabric that was just the right size.

I was in such a hurry I forgot to photograph my progress so I have made a selection of drawings to explain the very easy process.

First I stitched along the top and bottom to make a seam to pass some ribbon through at the top and some elastic at the bottom.


Next I folded the material in half length ways and stitched along the side.  I started below the top seam and ended before the bottom seam so that I could easily thread the ribbon and elastic through once I had finished.


Once this was complete I turned the fabric the right way around and threaded the ribbon through the top.  I am still awaiting the arrival of my elastic so I haven't quite finished but I plan to thread it through and knot it in place so that it is hidden in the seam and pulls the tube closed to prevent the bags falling out.

Here it is so far, isn't it pretty.



No comments:

Post a Comment