Last October I was given a large amount of fabric samples to sieve through. I decided to opt for a selection that were all of a similar colour scheme, some of them absolutely beautiful. I had the fabric in mind for a quilt, something I have wanted to do for ages but not had the money to buy the vast quantities of fabric needed. Here are the samples on the day of their selection.
With a new found love for sewing and now being a member of a sewing group I decided I really needed a project so I purchased a rotary cutter with the idea of cutting out the squares needed to latch together.
This evening I found myself home alone and in need of something new to do so I tidied up my craft corner and got started.
The first thing to do was gather my tools which are my cutting mat, my trusty metal ruler and my new rotary cutter. I also needed to decide how big to make the squares, I decided on 5"x5" so that each square was a substantial size and so I didn't have quite so much sewing to do.
Then I made my first cut, I now know how the doctors in Greys Anatomy feel now when they say the first cut is the hardest but from then on it becomes an addiction!
After some time Sophie came to join me to see what was happening in the room that is normally just used by her to sleep in, she seemed to quite enjoy the episode of waking the dead I was watching on my iPad, funny cat.
Once she realised there was no food and little fussing involved she made her way back downstairs and I carried on with the cutting. I decided I was going to cut all the fabric I had so that the final quilt would be made from as many different materials as possible. I can always donate or use the left overs for something else. Just out of curiosity and so I could calculate the size of the quilt I kept a count of many squares I was cutting from each piece of fabric, when I tallied it up at the end I was shocked to find I had 257!
Don't they look just beautiful stacked up, I cannot wait to start sewing them all together!