Monday 21 October 2013

Sloe Gin

Yesterday we went on a hunt for some sloes to be made into gin.  We made our way across the Suffolk heath to find a previously spotted sloe bush.  When we got there though it appeared that someone had beaten us to it so we had to resort to some extreme foraging methods.


It was quite good fun rummaging through the undergrowth to find what few sloes were left.  For those of you who do not know what they look here are some.


They're bitter horrible things that should not be eaten as they dry out every ounce of moisture in your mouth.  I once told my Nanna to try one because I convinced her they were sweet and tasty, I still don't think she has forgiven me.  They do however made beautiful gin, yummy yummy!

As we were picking sloes we could hear a lot of noise from a nearby field.  I popped around the corner and came face to face with some of the most enormous pigs I have ever seen.  I do like pigs, such funny creatures.



I then picked a few more sloes but sadly dropped the bucket so they all disappeared and were beyond my reach to get them back.  Fortunately I had not long before emptied the bucket into another one.


Once we had picked as many as we could reach we decided to head onto another sloe bush but sadly this is when the dog did a runner.  He got what can only be described as the devil in him.  Whilst he did what he did I went looking for interesting things.  I found loads of toadstools and fungi of all sizes.


It's hard to see the size of them in these photos but the top left one as as big as my hand and the bottom left about the size of my thumb nail.  Such pretty things.

I also found a lonely little blue flower.


When we eventually caught the dog and got him in the car we headed off home.


Now the sloes are home they will be washed and put in the freezer for a few days to rupture.  They will then be added to some gin to stew for a couple of months and finally some sugar will be added.

I do love sloe gin and can't wait to receive my bottle for Christmas.  If anyone knows of any sloe bushes in Nottinghamshire then please let me know as I wanted to make my own this year but don't know where to find any.  It's a long way to travel to Suffolk for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment