Sunday 20 October 2013

A tale of two sockies

I have been knitting a pair of socks for months and months and months now but I finished them just in time for a trip to the seaside to see my parents.

I love hand knitted socks but I must admit they are a bit tedious at times but they are great for knitting that requires little concentration (apart from the heel).

The first sock I knitted ended up with quite a big heel because I just kept going, with the heel flap (I didn't realise I had made it half an inch too long) I thought this would be fine but now it is finished and on my foot it is a bit baggy around my ankles as the length of the heel flap effects the overall size if the ankle.  The second one I made sure to knit a smaller heel but forgot this would make the whole sock shorter so the second sock is half an inch shorter than the first.  All in all a bit of an odd pair of socks but nothing I am worried about as they are on my feet after all.


I learnt to knit socks last year and quickly whipped up a pair for Tom's Dad for Christmas but these are the first ones I have knitted for myself and today I took them for a test drive.

I put them on under my leather boots and we set off to a craft fair, they made my boots feel lovely and snug where they can feel a bit loose with normal socks.  After a wander around we took a trip to the beach to see how many fisherman were taking part in this weeks charity fishing match.  Here I stopped to photograph my wonderful socks and was amazed by how none of the breeze made it through them, they are so snug!


If you have ever considered learning how to knit socks then I recommend it highly.  A lot of people say socks are hard to knit but if you can knit, purl, k2tog, ssk and pick up stitches then it's a doddle!  I am certainly converted and have great plans for many more pairs to make it into my sock drawer.


No comments:

Post a Comment