Thursday 26 September 2013

The best yarn shop in the Midlands.

Ok, so I would like to write a little blog about Knit Nottingham who have recently been voted the best yarn shop in the Midlands.  Let me tell you why.

Firstly the shop itself is great.  Eleanor will be the first to admit that sometimes it can be a bit messy but for me this is what makes it so great.  As a reasonably new knitter I look back on my early days with mixed emotions.  I remember visiting a shop that shall remain nameless not long after I started my first ever cabled project which was a scarf knitted in Cygnet Super Chunky, here it is.

 
I never did get around to photographing it with the ends sewn in and right now I can't be bothered to rummage around to find it.

Anyway I digress.  As I said I went to a different shop full of enthusiasm and excitement about knitting cables for the first time.  I entered said shop with it's neatly and perfectly stocked white shelves, a highly polished floor, a display of books so tidy I didn't think I was allowed to look at them and was greeted by a bark of "can I help!" as soon as I touched something.  It was not a friendly greeting and has not prompted a return visit.  I explained I was just browsing and was asked what I was currently working on.  I explained in an excited fashion that I was knitting a chunky cabled scarf and these were my first cables.  The response I received and will never ever forget is "I hate chunky yarn!"

Not long after this and while still knitting said scarf I attended Knit Nottingham for a crochet workshop and here my opinion of yarn shops and knitters changed completely.  I was greeted by Eleanor who was possibly a little hungover but still full of enthusiasm at the thought of teaching people how to make what I now know is one of her favourite things, a granny square.  The shop was, as I have now learnt to be normal, in a little disarray but mostly tidy because of the fact the table needed to be pulled out.  The furniture is mismatched and for a while one of the seats was broken but to me this makes it look loved and shows that the shop is not just a hobby for someone with some extra cash but a business that is run by people who truly love yarn, knitting and crochet and their focus is on that, not a pretty table full of books you can't touch.

The shop always looks like it has been busy which I find exciting, I want to know what people have been buying and making with the yarn on offer.  I find the ongoing projects dotted around interesting and learn from them by asking what they are, will be and how they are constructed.  I love to see finished items to inspire me to try something new.  Most of all I love the fact I grab things from the shelves, flick through the patterns and indulge the need to touch things before buying them because I don't feel afraid to do so.  This for me is something so many shops lack in.

The next reason I think Knit Nottingham is so wonderful is the workshops, events and classes they teach and take part in.  I have attended a number of workshops with Eleanor and I have to say that my world has changed.  The first workshop I attended and the first time I visited Knit Nottingham was to learn to crochet, I had tried to learn so many times but could not grasp it.  I was "hooked" from the first day and wanted to start a blanket as soon as I got home.  I still haven't made one but I am working on one as we speak.  I have also learnt how to knit socks, finish my knitting properly and knit a sweater.  The finishing class revolutionised my knitting and I now feel confident to sew up, graft and make things look great.

Here we have the guru and the results of her teaching.


The shop have also arranged a trip to Yarndale which is taking place this weekend and which I cannot wait for.  It's to be held in Skipton in Yorkshire and is a festival of all things wooly.  They have also arranged for Amy Singer (of knitty.com) to teach a number of workshops in Nottingham.  In all honesty I had not heard of Amy or Knitty until recently but I have to say I now understand what all the excitement is about, it is well worth a visit and some of the patterns are stunning.  The are still spaces available so if you fancy popping along then give the shop a bell.  I sadly cannot make it due to being in Devon for a visit to the in laws.

"Knit Nottingham state that "Knit Nottingham is a yarn shop based in the centre of Nottingham and online. We stock a wide range of value and artisan yarns, patterns and accessories for every knitter, crocheter or spinner."  I just love what they have on offer.  The shop is only small so stock has be kept to a reasonable level.  This means that each and every yarn in the shop is loved by those who sell it.  I genuinely believe that Eleanor and June do not put on a sales patter, they do love what they are selling.  They may not love all the colours but we all suit and like different things and this is appreciated.  

Whenever I have been to buy a new project I have met nothing but honesty.  "Put that back, the colour doesn't suit you but this one does." "That pattern won't look good on you try this one." "That pattern is too easy for you, try this harder one I know you can do it."  It's fabulous to leave with a shared confidence and enthusiasm when starting a new project.  Oh I do love that feeling and Eleanor and June certainly add to this.  The yarn is great, affordable and exciting.  It is not high end "designer" yarn with the price tag to match but good quality and nothing that either Eleanor or June would not use themselves.  If I do find I get stuck with a project I know either Eleanor or June are at hand to help and they do this willingly and without question.

Knit Nottingham has opened up a whole new world for me.  I haven't had an easy year or so and the shop has acted as a haven when times have been hard.  I was always greeted by a friendly face and a listening ear when things were bad and I now consider Eleanor to be one of my friends and a blooming good one at that.  I have been introduced to "Knit in Notts" a wonderful knitting group held on Tuesday evenings and founded by the lovely Steph of Nettynot.  Here I have made more friends with similar interests to me.

This may all sound very twee but if I hadn't visited Knit Nottingham my life would not be as happy is it now, it has opened up so many opportunities to learn, create, meet new people and so much more.  It is not just a yarn shop but a social hub and a place to see friends and catch up on all the latest gossip.

I wish the whole team all the best of luck to keep on winning these awards and keep getting better and better!

Xxx



3 comments:

  1. I love Knit Nottingham too. I don't get to visit very often but Eleanor always remembers what I knit. A visit to the shop is always a friendly and helpful experience. June found me the perfect pattern for a jacket I wanted to knit for myself and the perfect yarn for a blanket I was working on and Eleanor is just so enthusiastic and encouraging that a trip to the shop is a delight. So pleased that they are winning awards - truly deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shop isn't it! I wasn't even paid to write this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your descriptions of honesty and enthusiasm really chime with my experiences, and once Eleanor got over her fear i would be a high faluting fine artist and realised, no! bird is a FIBRE artist (almost one of us ;)) she has been really supportive, genuinely enthused about my conquering socks and very kind about posters for my installations etc
    a very upmarket LYS was very snooty about me buying single balls - none of that here, instead a cheery "so, what are you up to this time, then?"
    i'm so pleased kn got the award, it's so well deserved!

    ReplyDelete