Tuesday 10 September 2013

A mossy cowl

At the weekend I purchased a beautiful ball of cygnet seriously chunky in barley for a bargainous £1.  It was screaming cowl and the colour would go perfectly with the mustard yellow lining of my favourite coat which can be seen when the collar is worn folded down.


I desperately wanted to knit it as soon as I got home but I had to finish this little blighter first, the third and final one I am ever going to knit!  Here he is trying to steal my celebratory completion beer.


Once he was finished I picked up my beautiful yarn and my new giant wooden needles purchased from a charity shop for a whopping 30p.


Here is what I did for those of you who might be interested in knitting a cowl just like mine, it's incredibly simple.

Materials: 1 ball of cygnet seriously chunky or similar yarn. 15mm needles. Darning needle.

Cast on 15 stitches using whichever cast on method suits you.  I always use long tail for a nice even start.

Knit in moss stitch/seed stitch until you have almost run out yarn.

Cast off in whichever way suits you.

To create the collar and bib effect I sewed the top half of one end to the bottom half of the other.

I told you it was easy!


I think this will be perfect for those cold winter days and the collar and bib effect makes it just that little bit different from other cowls.

Please feel free to reproduce and do whatever you want with these, I can't say I have designed much, I just went the knit it and see approach.

Love love.


No comments:

Post a Comment